Saturday, February 11, 2017

Letters in Music: "The Letter"

When I hear the name of  Elton John (1947), two songs come to my head. The first is "Candle in the Wind", which I am sure most of you also remember, that threnody song which was composed in 1973 in honour or  Marilyn Monroe (who had died 11 years earlier) and which was rewritten as a tribute to Diana, Princess of Wales in 1997. The other one is "Sorry Seems to Be the Hardest Word", a mournful ballad about a romantic relationship which is falling apart, and which I absolutely love.

Today, however, I am leaving you with a song from a mother to her son. And aren't those of us whose mothers write to us incredibly lucky to have written tokens of motherly love? I certainly treasure them as a most prized possession.




"The Letter" 

Dear Billy,
I must seem a distant memory
Which is probably a good thing
And it will have been a long, long time
And I will have missed you growing
And I'll have missed you crying
And I'll have missed you laugh
Missed your stamping and your shouting
I have missed telling you off
But please, Billy, know that I was always there
I was with you through everything
And please, Billy, know that I will always be
Proud to have known you
Proud that you were mine
Proud in everything
And you must promise me this, Billy
In everthing you do
Always be yourself, Billy
And you always will be true
Love you forever
Love you forever

Mam

No comments:

Post a Comment