Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Letters in Poems: Nizar Qabbani (III)

This is the third entry about نزار قباني  Nizar Qabbani (1923-1998) (click here to see previous posts), a Syrian poet who has left us with a rich intellectual legacy. On top of that, his political poetry can be regarded as a completely new phenomenon in modern Arabic poetry; and "his poetry in general is haunted by ideas of change and revolt against the old poetic genres and indeed against some new forms (i.e. free verse), as well as against the stagnation which has been inherited generation from generation - a stagnation of thought, expression and metre" (Al-Shahham, A. (1989), The Political Poetry of Nizar Qabbani. A Critical Study and Translation).

You can enjoy the poem below along with a song version of it sang by  عبدالحليم إسماعيل شبانة Abdel Halim Hafez (1929-1977), one of the most popular Egyptian and Arab singers.

Letter from Under the Sea

If you are my friend...
Help me...to leave you
Or if you are my lover...
Help me...so I can be healed of you...
If I knew....
that the ocean is very deep...I would not have swam...
If I knew...how I would end,
I would not have began

I desire you...so teach me not to desire

teach me...

how to cut the roots of your love from the depths

teach me...

how tears may die in the eyes

and love may commit suicide

If you are prophet,

Cleanse me from this spell

Deliver me from this atheism...

Your love is like atheism...so purify me from this atheism


If you are strong...

Rescue me from this ocean

For I don't know how to swim

The blue waves...in your eyes

drag me...to the depths

blue...
blue...
nothing but the color blue
and I have no experience
in love...and no boat...


If I am dear to you

then take my hand

For I am filled with desire...from my

head to my feet


I am breathing under water!

I am drowning...

drowning...

drowning...





No comments:

Post a Comment