Sunday, October 23, 2016

Letters in Music: "Baltas laiškas"

We had presented a song about letters and writing in a previous post, which I came to know thanks to Simona Armonavičiūtė, who introduced me to Lithuanian culture and gave me all these references to letters and writing in their music.

This song, by Pikaso, "Baltas laiškas" is excellent to introduce us to the fall, its colors and coolness, a preface to winter time. It says something like this in the chorus:


 "Baltas laiškas" 

Is it cold without me? Are you cold? 
I write you a white letter in the snow again. 
Is it cold without me? Are you cold? 

The frost will draw a cold face on a window."



4 comments:

  1. The language is lovely. It's a pity it is so difficult to find translations of Lithuanian poems...

    BTW, an acquaintance has just returned from a 6-year lectorship there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I love the rhythm and music of Lithuanian, and had a student do a presentation in class about the language once. You must tell me about Lithuanian poetry and about your friend's stay in the country. Thanks, Manolo!

      Delete
    2. Well, I don't know much because of the paucity of translations, but there's a group of poets - Keturi vėjai (The Four Winds) - from the 1920s that looks very interesting. The best of the group is Kazys Binkis.

      Delete
    3. Duly noted and added to my reading list. Thanks for the suggestion!

      Delete