Monday, August 8, 2016

Leonard Cohen's Letter to Marianne Ihlen

Source: http://www.independent.ie
Both Dolores López and Miro Villar have kindly shared recent articles about Leonard Cohen, who we have previously discussed in former entries in relation to his allusions to letters in a couple of his songs ("Famous Blue Raincoat" and "The Letters"). However, in this case, articles such as this  (from The Independent) or this one (from The Guardian), make reference to a personal poignant letter the Canadian singer-songwriter penned to his dying muse Marianne Ihlen days before her death on July 29. Ihlen inspired such songs as "So Long, Marianne" (see video and lyrics below), "Bird on the Wire" and "Hey, That's No Way to Say Goodbye".

Marianne Ihlen (left) Source: James Burke, the LIFE picture collection
Cohen and Ihlen enjoyed a seven-year romance after meeting on the Greek Island in Hydra during the 1960s. He ultimately invited her and her infant son to live with him in Montreal. 


Ihlen was dying of leukemia and had only a few days to live, so her close friend Jan Christian Mollestad got in touch with Cohen to tell him Ihlen was dying. 

“It took only two hours and in came this beautiful letter from Leonard to Marianne. We brought it to her the next day and she was fully conscious and she was so happy that he had already written something for her,” Mollestad said (source: The Guardian)

Mollestad, a documentary maker, read Cohen’s letter to her before she died:

“Well Marianne it's come to this time when we are really so old and our bodies are falling apart and I think I will follow you very soon. Know that I am so close behind you that if you stretch out your hand, I think you can reach mine," Cohen wrote, according to Mollestad.

"And you know that I've always loved you for your beauty and your wisdom, but I don't need to say anything more about that because you know all about that. But now, I just want to wish you a very good journey. Goodbye old friend. Endless love, see you down the road.'"




"So long, Marianne"

Come over to the window, my little darling
I'd like to try to read your palm
I used to think I was some kind of gypsy boy
Before I let you take me home

Now so long, Marianne, it's time that we began
To laugh and cry and cry and laugh 
About it all again

Well you know that I love to live with you
But you make me forget so very much
I forget to pray for the angels
And then the angels forget to pray for us

Now so long, Marianne, it's time that we began 

We met when we were almost young
Deep in the green lilac park
You held on to me like I was a crucifix
As we went kneeling through the dark

Oh so long, Marianne, it's time that we began 

Your letters they all say that you're beside me now
Then why do I feel alone?
I'm standing on a ledge and your fine spider web
Is fastening my ankle to a stone

Now so long, Marianne, it's time that we began 

For now I need your hidden love
I'm cold as a new razor blade
You left when I told you I was curious
I never said that I was brave

Oh so long, Marianne, it's time that we began 

Oh, you are really such a pretty one
I see you've gone and changed your name again
And just when I climbed this whole mountainside
To wash my eyelids in the rain

Oh so long, Marianne, it's time that we began


No comments:

Post a Comment