Saturday, August 6, 2016

Letters in Music: "I've Written a Letter to Daddy"



Whatever Happened to Baby Jane (1962) is a movie that I have not watched yet, so I will include the synopsis from IMDb:

In a tale that almost redefines sibling rivalry, faded actresses Blanche and 'Baby' Jane Hudson live together. Jane was by far the most famous when she performed with their father in vaudeville but as they got older, it was Blanche who became the finer actress, which Jane still resents. Blanche is now confined to a wheelchair - Jane ran her over with the car while drunk, even though she has no memory of it - and Jane is firmly in control. As time goes by, Jane exercises greater and greater control over her sister, intercepting her letters and ensuring that few if anyone from the outside has any contact with her. As Jane slowly loses her mind, she torments her sister going to ever greater extremes.



In that movie, Bette Davis sang a song about a long-distance letter, whose lyrics and video we are including in this entry.

"I've Written a Letter to Daddy"

I've written a letter to Daddy
His address is Heaven above
I've written "Dear Daddy, we miss you
And wish you were with us to love"

Instead of a stamp, I put kisses
The postman says that's best to do
I've written a letter to Daddy
Saying "I love you"

I've written a letter to Daddy
Saying "I love you"

No comments:

Post a Comment