Monday, May 30, 2016

Words in Books: Palabras do mar


A delicate book with poems and illustrations about the dream-like feelings aroused in us when we are near the sea. Antonio García Teijeiro (1952) is the author of the poems in the book Palabras do mar (2015) and Xosé Tomás is the illustrator. 

The book is part of a trilogy along with En la cuna del mar and Poemar o mar. I saw it in the Mercado da Estrela last December and I couldn't resist buying it. It now sits on my coffee table and I love its short poems and illustrations. It's so much more than a children's book - there are different types of poems (lullaby songs, an almost-haiku and an almost-limerick), references to the sea and the moon, to mermaids and boats, and a dialogue with poems by Manuel Antonio, Pablo Neruda or Rafael Alberti.





Beyond the book, I would like to recommend Versos e aloumiños, a blog by Antón García-Fernández and directed by Antonio García Teijeiro which was a fantastic discovery, especially the sections "A luz das palabras" and "Escaparate poético", which I will definitely be reading with interest.




No comments:

Post a Comment