Friday, April 8, 2016

Letters in Music: "Famous Blue Raincoat"

I think I've taken too long to post this song. When I arrived to Ribeira in 2008, one of the activities we did in class consisted in each student presenting their favorite song. They explained the lyrics or why it had a special meaning for them. One of the singers that two people chose that year was Leonard Cohen, who I did not know before and has been a constant in our classes. Every year there is somebody that picks Leonard Cohen as their favorite singer: Leo Estévez, Dolores López or Daniel Gómez, who even chose to sing one of his songs, "Dance Me to the End of Love" in a karaoke session we had last January.

"Famous Blue Raincoat" (1971) is a poignant song written in the form of a letter, in fact many of the lines are written in amphibrachs (long syllables between short syllables). The lyrics tell us the story of a love triangle between the speaker, a woman named Jane, and the male addressee (identified only briefly as "my brother, my killer"). Click here for an article analyzing the song in detail.


"Famous Blue Raincoat"

It's four in the morning, the end of December 
I'm writing you now just to see if you're better 
New York is cold, but I like where I'm living 
There's music on Clinton Street all through the evening. 
I hear that you're building your little house deep in the desert 
You're living for nothing now, I hope you're keeping some kind of record. 

Yes, and Jane came by with a lock of your hair 
She said that you gave it to her 
That night that you planned to go clear 
Did you ever go clear? 

Ah, the last time we saw you you looked so much older 
Your famous blue raincoat was torn at the shoulder 
You'd been to the station to meet every train 
And you came home without Lili Marlene 

And you treated my woman to a flake of your life 
And when she came back she was nobody's wife. 

Well I see you there with the rose in your teeth 
One more thin gypsy thief 
Well I see Jane's awake 

She sends her regards. 

And what can I tell you my brother, my killer 
What can I possibly say? 
I guess that I miss you, I guess I forgive you 
I'm glad you stood in my way. 

If you ever come by here, for Jane or for me 
Your enemy is sleeping, and his woman is free. 

Yes, and thanks, for the trouble you took from her eyes 
I thought it was there for good so I never tried. 

And Jane came by with a lock of your hair 
She said that you gave it to her 
That night that you planned to go clear  

Sincerely, L. Cohen

2 comments:

  1. I've never listened to this song... shame on me!
    Thanks a bunch for having introduced it to me :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is something about the music cadence and Cohen's voice in this song that touches your heart, don't you agree? Thanks for reading, Loli. And commenting!

      Delete